Obamacare is the unofficial name for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (also known as the Affordable Care Act or the ACA), which was signed into law on March 23, 2010. Aimed at reforming the American health care system, Obamacare's main focus is on providing more Americans with access to affordable health insurance, improving the quality of health care and health insurance, regulating the health insurance industry, and reducing healthcare spending in the U.S.
How does Obamacare Affect Me?
Obamacare outlines a variety of changes that will affect most Americans, including residents of Kansas.
- Almost all Americans must have health insurance, or they will face a fine.1
- Obamacare redefines benefits, rights, and protections for Americans. It strengthens America's healthcare system by outlawing denial of coverage for preexisting conditions, redefining equal treatment, and putting other safeguards into place.2
- Obamacare has helped almost 23 million previously uninsured Americans* gain health insurance by expanding eligibility and offering cost assistance through health insurance marketplaces.3
- Cost assistance subsidies for reduced premiums and reduced out-of-pocket costs are available via the health insurance marketplace to individuals and families making less than 400% of the federal poverty level, as well as small businesses with fewer than twenty-five full-time equivalent employees making less than $50,000 in average annual wages.4,5
Trying to understand Obamacare can be confusing and time consuming. HealthMarkets is here to help make this process a little easier. We’ll search plans available in Kansas to find the health insurance coverage that’s right for you at a price that fits your budget. And we do it at no cost to you! Get a quote online in less than 5 minutes or call (844) 632-6618 and speak to a licensed agent who can help you now!
*from September 2013 to February 2015
- 1.The Fee You Pay IF You Don’t Have Health Coverage.Retrieved from https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/fee-for-not-being-covered/, 10/06/2015.
- 2.Coverage for Pre-existing Conditions. Retrieved from https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care-law-protections/pre-existing-conditions/, 10/06/2015.
- 3.Rand Corporation. (2015). Health Coverage Grows Under Affordable Care Act [Press release]. May 6, 2015. Retrieved from http://www.rand.org/news/press/2015/05/06.html, 10/06/2015.
- 4.Obamacare Subsidies. Obamacare Facts. Retrieved from http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-subsidies/, 10/06/2015.
- 5.How Will Obamacare Affect Your Small Business? Obamacare Facts. Retrieved from http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-small-business/, 10/06/2015.