What is the Affordable Care Act?
The Affordable Care Act officially expands coverage to millions of Americans nationwide and makes numerous improvements to current programs. Implemented in 2010, the Affordable Care Act impacts people nationwide, including those in Michigan.
About the Law
The Affordable Care Act puts consumers back in charge of their health care. Under the law, a new “Patient’s Bill of Rights” gives the American people the stability and flexibility they need to make informed choices about their health care.
Here are a few key features of the Affordable Care Act.
- Ends Pre-Existing Condition Exclusions: Health plans can no longer limit or deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions.
- Keeps Young Adults Covered: If you are under 26, you may be eligible for coverage under your parents' health plan.
- Ends Arbitrary Withdrawals of Insurance Coverage: Insurers can no longer cancel your coverage just because you made an honest mistake on your application.
- Guarantees Your Right to Appeal: You now have the right to ask that your plan reconsider its denial of payment.
- Ends Lifetime Limits on Coverage: Lifetime limits on most benefits are banned for all new health insurance plans.
- Reviews Premium Increases: Insurance companies must now publicly justify rate increases.
- Helps You Get the Most from Your Premium Dollars: Your premium dollars must be spent primarily on health care – not administrative costs.
- Covers Preventive Care at No Cost to You: You may be eligible for recommended preventive health services without a copayment.
- Protects Your Choice of Doctors: Choose the primary care doctor you want from your plan’s network.
- Improves Accessibility to Emergency Services: You can seek emergency care at a hospital outside of your health plan’s network.
At HealthMarkets, we're committed and really do our part to make the shopping experience as painless as possible. With licensed agents available across Texas, we can help you in person, online, or via phone. Best of all, our help is at no cost to you.